Sunday, December 23, 2012

Extreme Cold!

Sunset over the snowy tundra
We are defiantly starting to experience temperatures lower than I have ever experienced before.  The other morning we woke up to -23 degrees, factor in the 15-20 mile per hour winds and the temp was about -45.  With these low temps comes a plethora of new experiences for us.  Here are just a few:
* Despite the fact that we have double pane windows there is a thick layer of ice on the bottom INSIDE of all our windows!  On several of our windows we taped plastic shrink wrap to the inside in an attempt to keep the cold out and the heat in.
* The other day I went to visit a friend and she had to use a hair dryer to defrost her door before she could let me in.  Her outer door had actually frozen shut!!
Snow drift
* There is a phenomenon that we have not yet experienced since we are able to park our car inside our heated garage, but I know several people who have... square tires.  That's right, square tires.  The temperature gets so low that the pressure drops in the tire and they flatten a bit.  Then the rubber freezes in the flattened shape.  The only way to get your tires round again is to warm them up, the only way to warm them up is to drive your car.  At first the tires and car clunk along, but apparently it doesn't take too long for them to warm up, round out and ride smoothly.  I almost want to leave our car outside one night just to see if our tires are square in the morning.
* Lately whenever you walk outside, after just a couple of inhalations through your nose, the inside of your nostrils start to freeze!  Its a very strange sensation.  The first time I experienced it I kept breathing in just to feel my nose.
Frozen Kuskokwim River
* A few nights ago, I took a walk out on the tundra to view a beautiful meteor shower and try to catch the northern lights.  It was about -45 with the wind and after about 10 minutes I could feel icicles on my eyelashes.  I didn't last too long outside that night, I don't have goggles yet and it didn't take long before my cheeks and bridge of my nose were burning.
* Lastly, we got a chance to take a drive on the river.  We didn't go very far, it was a much rougher crossing than I thought it would be.  Plus the wind was blowing the snow so much that it was quickly covering the previously made tracks.  Since we weren't at all familiar with the smoothest route we turned around rather than risk a flat tire in the middle of the river.

Driving on the Kuskokwim
Ice fishing
Blowing snow over the frozen river

So maybe its just the novelty of our first Alaskan winter that makes all the above so interesting, but if that's what it takes to help us get through the coldest winter we've ever experienced then we'll take it!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment