Monday, March 18, 2013

Boston

Boston
The hospital I work for requested I attend a 2 day training on a new way to deliver prenatal care.  I had my choice of traveling to Austin, Texas or Boston, Massachusetts.  Easy!  Boston here I come!  Now I couldn't make a two day trip to Boston and not take a little extra time to visit all the family and friends I have in New England.  Once my parents and sister caught wind of my up coming trip they promptly booked their own tickets.  Since Gianna could sit on my lap and I would have 3 babysitters in Boston, I decided to bring her along.  Really, what part of 18 hours on a plane with an 18 month old didn't sound like a good idea?  
Plane Entertainment
We set out from Bethel Wednesday night and arrived in Boston the next evening.  Gianna did exceedingly well!  She slept for most of the flights.  For 2 of the 3 legs we sat on the aisle.  The aisle seemed like a good idea at first.  I wouldn't have to step over anyone to get to the bathroom.  However, as my daughter stretched out, arms, legs and at times her head were in the aisle.  I couldn't sleep for fear the drink cart would wack her in the head.  (Which turned out to be a legitimate fear, as the flight attendants were everything but polite and attentive.)   Ironically, I only got up once to go to the restroom.    
Alisha and Gianna at Sam
Adams Brewery 
Mom, Alisha and Gianna
I hadn't been outside the state of Alaska in over 9 months.  That first night I had a hard time sleeping.  Cars, horns, sirens.  It was so loud!  I had a village patient once complain about having to spend the night in Bethel because there were too many cars driving past the inn she was staying at, and she couldn't sleep because of all the noise.  That first night in Boston, I knew exactly how that patient felt.
The training itself over the next two days was excellent.  I learned so much and can't wait to implement it!  But while I was training, Mom, Dad, my sister and daughter were out exploring Boston.  Judging by their pictures, they had a pretty awesome time.
Following my training we set out for Maine to visit with family we hadn't seen in too long.  

Dinner
Dad and Gianna




Mom and Gianna at the
Boston Aquarium



It was such a great trip!  I got to visit loved ones (including my best friend from college), do some shopping, eat out and drink draft beer.  Gianna and I made the long trip back to Alaska (this time in the window seat).  We spent the last day in Anchorage to stock up on groceries.  After a final beer in the Anchorage airport we headed home.
Josh and Gianna enjoying Gianna's
new favorite pass time, the iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment