Friday, June 21, 2013

Year 1

Summer River
















We have officially been living in Bethel, Alaska for 1 year now, or as Alaskans say, we've lived here for 1 winter.  From dog sled races, to trips to villages, to salmon fishing, we have gotten to experience many new things this past year.  It's crazy how quickly it passed.  It hasn't all been easy, but it's amazing how quickly you get used to the price of a gallon of milk being $8, or a gallon of gas $7.06.  One thing I have learned is that people here don't refer to the time of year in terms of weather seasons.  Rather, the reference is made to whatever is "in season".  For example I don't tell patients they need to follow up in the Spring; I tell them they need to follow up after the king salmon run.  Or "make sure you get your blood pressure checked after you get a moose".      
Fall River
As a quick update and for those who just recently started reading this blog, we made this move in large part to get my massive amount of student loans paid off.  I unfortunately missed the application deadline for the National Health Service Corp last year, but have reapplied this year.  My application was accepted, so now I just anxiously await for them to show me the MONEY!!  
Winter River
I have made a position change at the hospital here.  I know longer work primarily in outpatient clinic.  At the beginning of June I moved over to the ER side of the hospital working their fast track.  I still see the same type of patients and problems, it's just on more of an urgent care, walk in basis.  I made the switch for various reasons, and so far I haven't regretted it.  I work 2nd shift, so I have more time during the day to spend with the kids and for that alone I am grateful.  The switch does mean no more village travel for me which is unfortunate for I did really enjoy going to the villages.  
Spring River
Year two has some exciting plans.  We hope to see more of the state this year and get the full Alaskan experience! One year completed, one year left on my contract, and then who knows...

4 comments:

  1. It sure seems like you are having a good experience, even though things are crazy expensive. Glad to hear you are staying in one place. However your trips to different villages seemed very interesting . Looking forward to more stories and pictures . Have fun and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The village travel was very interesting. Hopefully I will still get to do some village travel, just in a slightly different context. The medivac teams are always looking for extra help ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking at the same position! Did you still qualify for loan repayment being in a fast track setting? I called the NHSC and they couldn't give me an answer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ismail, I did still get NHSC loan repayment being in fast track. I can't speak for all sites, but at YK our fast track positions qualify for NHSC loan repayment.

    ReplyDelete